International Help


There is a diverse ethnic population in our area with large communities of people from Nepal and South East Asia and the traveller community.

This information is for people who are visiting England from abroad. It tells you how to access different types of healthcare and whether you might need to pay.

If you’re not sure how to get the help you need, use the checklist below to guide you.

  • Call NHS 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation. You can also call NHS 111 if you’re not sure which NHS service you need.
  • Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.
  • Visit a walk-in centre, minor injuries unit or urgent treatment centre, if you have a minor illness or injury (cuts, sprains or rashes) and it cannot wait until your GP surgery is open.
  • Ask your local pharmacist for advice – your pharmacist can give you advice about many common minor illnesses, such as diarrhoea, minor infections, headaches, sore throats, or travel health.
  • Make an appointment with a GP if you’re feeling unwell and it’s not an emergency.

GPs are the first point of contact for nearly all NHS patients. They can direct you to other NHS services and are experts in family medicine, preventative care, health education, and treating people with multiple and long-term conditions.

If you’re planning to live and work in England, you need to register with a local GP.

You’ll need to fill out a Registration form using exactly the same details you used when you filled out your visa.

Being registered with a GP practice does not in itself mean you’ll be entitled to free NHS hospital treatment.

If you’re in England for a short visit but need to see a GP, you can register as a temporary patient with a local doctor please fill in a Temporary Registration form. You need to be in the area for more than 24 hours but less than 3 months.

If you would like a British Sign Language interpreter, we are very happy to book one for you. Please give us as much notice as your problem allows, as sign language interpreters are often very busy.

If you have difficulty with hearing please ask for written communication.